Just Act NYC is a summer program for Jewish teens who are passionate about acting. Working with professional actors in a state-of-the-art performance space in Brooklyn, you’ll develop, produce, and perform in an original work.
Here’s how it works:
- The program runs Monday through Friday from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. (Weekends are yours!)
- Choose from 1-, 2- or 4-week sessions.
- Four days a week, you’ll work on-site at the Irondale Ensemble Project’s theater in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Together with a small group of peers and the expert actors at Irondale, you’ll create a unique piece of theater to perform for the public and hone your theater craft.
- One day a week, you’ll take the creative process on the road, participating in social justice service projects and immersing yourself in the city that’s home to some of the world’s most spectacular and innovative theater.
The Irondale Ensemble Project takes a unique approach to creating theater. They begin with a text—a poem, a classic, a children’s tale—and as a team, they view it from all angles, unpacking it and turning it on its head to inspire a contemporary and engaging production.
The instructors at Irondale will coach you on their model and teach you skills that will make you a stronger and more innovative actor. You’ll start with source material that speaks to your Jewish identity—where you take it will be up to you.
Why Just Act?
Top-notch training. Working with Irondale’s professionals will give you a chance to experience New York’s professional theater scene firsthand and to push your boundaries as an artist. You’ll get to do what you love while learning from the best.
Your summer, your way. Because Just Act NYC is a weekday program, you’ll have evenings and weekends free for friends, family, study, work, and fun.
Personal and artistic growth. Together with your peers, you’ll examine questions of Jewish culture and experience, using your identity as a source of inspiration.
Reasonable cost. Just Act is an affordable alternative to a residential camp, and we offer scholarships for families who qualify for tuition assistance.
Who should apply?
We’re accepting applications now for our summer session beginning on July 11. We’re looking for teens who…
- Enjoy theater, creativity, and learning new skills
- Care about making a difference in the world
- Want to build confidence through new experiences
- Can travel into Brooklyn for weekday sessions and performances
Sound like you or someone you know? Help us spread the word. We’ll see you on stage this summer!